Different types of Mutual Funds:
- Debt funds: A debt fund is a type of Mutual Fund that invests in fixed-income securities. Under this fund, your money will be invested in short-term bonds, long-term bonds, securitised funds, floating rate debt, and money market instruments.
- Equity funds: An equity fund is a type of Mutual Fund that invests money primarily in stocks. There are both actively or passively managed funds.
- Equity linked savings schemes: This is an equity Mutual Fund that is close-funded in nature. It helps you save taxes and also helps you grow your wealth. You can enjoy tax deductions as per the Income Tax Act under Section 80C.
- Diversified funds: This type of Mutual Fund allows you to invest your money in diverse sectors or industries. You can spread your investments across various industries in the market.
- Gilt funds: These funds allocate money to securities that are offered by the state and central governments. These funds come without any default risk.
- Index funds: Under this category of Mutual Funds, your money will be invested according to how a stock market index functions. The NAV for these funds will be closely follow the rise or fall in the index.
- Liquid Mutual Funds: Liquid Mutual Funds are investment plans that will allocate funds primarily to money market instruments such as treasury bills, term deposits, certificate of deposits, commercial papers, etc. These funds come with a lower maturity period.
- Debt-oriented hybrid funds: Under this category of Mutual Funds, your money will be primarily invested in debt and the remaining part will be invested in equity. It is a blend of both debt and equity investment.
- Arbitrage funds: These funds are treated as equity plans for taxation purposes. These funds invest both in the cash market and the derivatives market.
- Dynamic bond funds: Your money will be invested in debt and money-market instruments. The maturity of the fund will vary according to the investments that it makes.
The number of Mutual Funds made available to the general public has increased significantly over the past few years. As a result, you now have an impressive number of options to choose from, and regardless of which category you wish to invest in, following are the top 10 Mutual Funds in various categories, as rated by CRISIL.