Financial management focuses on ratios, equities and debts. It is useful for portfolio management,distribution of dividend,capital raising,hedging and looking after fluctuations in foreign currency and product cycles.Financial managers are the people who will do research and based on the research, decide what sort of capital to obtain in order to fund the company’s assets as well as maximizing the value of the firm for all the stakeholders. It also refers to the efficient and effective management of money (funds) in such a manner as to accomplish the objectives of the organization. It is the specialized function directly associated with the top management. The significance of this function is not seen in the ‘Line’ but also in the capacity of the ‘Staff’ in overall of a company. It has been defined differently by different experts in the field.
The term typically applies to an organization or company’s financial strategy, while personal finance or financial life management refers to an individual’s management strategy. It includes how to raise the capital and how to allocate capital, i.e. capital budgeting. Not only for long term budgeting, but also how to allocate the short term resources like current liabilities. It also deals with the dividend policies of the share holders.
Objectives of Financial Management
- Profit maximization happens when marginal cost is equal to marginal revenue. This is the main objective of Financial Management.
- Wealth maximization means maximization of shareholders’ wealth. It is an advanced goal compared to profit maximization.
- Survival of company is an important consideration when the financial manager makes any financial decisions. One incorrect decision may lead company to be bankrupt.
- Maintaining proper cash flow is a short run objective of financial management. It is necessary for operations to pay the day-to-day expenses e.g. raw material, electricity bills, wages, rent etc. A good cash flow ensures the survival of company.
- Minimization on capital cost in financial management can help operations gain more profit.
- It is vague :- There are several types of profits before interest, depreciation and taxes, profit before taxes, profit after taxes, cash profit etc